09 May, 2009

My Dandelion Prince Goes a Dancing

Our lawn is out of control this week. The grass is nearly up to Mason's knees and dandelions are everywhere (to James' credit, we just got back from California and he had to jump into Spring semester). Mason and I don't mind. It makes for extra exciting outside time, Mason's favorite time of the day. Yesterday we took it to the next level by making something fancy out of our dandelion garden. A dandelion crown! Mason picked and I knotted until he was as dapper as a little prince could be!
Speaking of flower power, Mason and I just got back from the Provo City Farmers Market. I have been interested to see what it was like for several years now, but have just been too busy or lazy up to this point. We expected to find all sorts of produce but instead found mostly art and food vendors...and a whole bunch of hippies (I didn't even know they existed here in Provo. I mean the serious 4 inch armpit hair kind). They even had a May Poll accompanied by a fiddle. Mason was very impressed. And as I was talking to two of our favorite Provo friends, Kiersten and Jared, Mason was overcome by the music and started dancing the jig (or a version of it) and then ran off to grab a ribbon and frolic with our new hippie friends.
I had no interest in joining in but Mason looked so excited. After all, if I don't cultivate his interest in the arts, who will (not Poppy)? So I joined my free spirit around the May poll and got ready to party. What I didn't realize was that once you start, you have committed yourself to about 20 minutes worth of dancing/weaving and frustration. I also didn't realize that my fickle little son would lose interest in less than a minute and that I would have to weave and skip while carrying him in one arm, all the while trying to look merry. I am sure those watching were wondering what in the world the short pregnant woman was thinking? I wouldn't be surprised if they were also wondering if I knew my right from my left or why I wasn't sporting any armpit hair. Whoops.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Megan Miley and Chris said...

Haha This post made me laugh! How random... I don't remember there being any may poll last time I went to the farmers market. We got some AMAZING fruit there last year. The peaches were do die for. And now i want them...

Anne said...

we were at the farmers market today, too. we had a great time. this is just the preseason market and all the fruits and vegetables will start appearing june-october. i think i am going to set up a booth and sell my stuff there a few saturdays this year.

Kiersten said...

That was one of the funniest parts of my day--Mason running over to the maypole and standing there with a ribbon just like everyone else. He knew just what to do! I loved it. Oh, and I feel the very same way about the sample people/sales people. Jared and I were talking about it while we walked home past 5 or 6 yard sales. It's so awkward to hear someone's spiel or just watch them watch you look at their stuff and then decide not to buy!