19 June, 2009

Flashback Friday: It's the thought that counts

The months that followed my mission were some of the most awkward months of my life. I just didn't feel like myself no matter what I did. I was happy to be with my family again, but I really wished that they could venture out to West Virginia with me and be my companions for the rest of forever. I didn't feel ready to move on with my life quite yet. Before my mission I was incredibly social at college but when I returned to BYU I only wanted to spend time with my sister, roommates, and my mission buddies. However, I didn't want to let anyone down so I gave it my best social effort regardless. I like to think that most of the time I had everyone fooled, but I know for sure that this wasn't always the case.

The first calling I was given (to serve in our church) was the Compassionate Service Leader and was asked to watch over the women in our apartment building and make sure that everyone was doing well physically, spiritually, and emotionally. There were a couple girls that we were especially concerned for, so when I found out that one of them was going to be having a birthday party that night, I felt I really should make an appearance. I was running late that evening and didn't get home until the party was nearly over but I wanted to be supportive and went anyway.

This particular girl/neighbor's apartment was still full of people when I showed up, with the birthday girl sitting on a chair in the middle of the room (now that I think about it, that seems a little odd. I wonder if they were in the middle of a game?). After I said hi to the group, I headed over to my neighbor and bent down to give her a hug from behind. I was hugging her in a way that my arms were crisscrossed in front of her with my hands wresting on her opposite arms (does that make sense? Try hugging someone from behind and then you'll see what I mean. I promise, this wasn't the weird part...totally). While I hugged her, I patted her upper arm with my hand and told her how I hoped she had had a good day.

While we talked, I looked up and noticed that everyone was watching us with a weird expression on their faces. Confused I looked down to see what was going on. It was then that I realized that the arm that I was patting affectionately was actually no arm at all! It was her left boob! Curses on padded bras that make boobs feel like biceps!!! I had gone to her party to make sure that she felt befriended and ended up groping her instead! Happy Birthday!! Don't mind me, I'm socially awkward! I quickly let go and muttered a humiliated apology. Oh well, at least she knew someone cared....even if my actions seemed a smidge bit forward.

3 comments:

Megan Miley and Chris said...

HAHA! Oh my goodness. That would be so embarrassing. Thanks for sharing. : )

Anne said...

what kind of mission did you go on?? so funny

Aria said...

Me and Tommy want to know which girl this was...not that I would remember, since I wasn't extremely social that year. And what are you talking about? You were always the life of the party! I miss my great roomie. :)