08 August, 2011

Our Robin
The boys and I were lucky enough to visit the farm with Poppy on Saturday while he took care of some of the cows in his new study. The boys got to tag along with him several times this last week (Char has been  bit of a pip and Poppy was kind enough to give me a break), but this was my first time seeing him in action. It sure warmed my heart watching him get his work done while he grinned ear to ear. I am so glad that he loves what he does.
James driving the cows in his study to the squeeze shoot.

The cows waiting to get weighed and cleaned

One of the cows getting cleaned in the squeeze shoot. Mason kept him company while Pops worked. This circular thing in the cow's side is called a cannula. It is surgically inserted so that they can reach in and collect from the cows rumen while doing research. It looks mean, but it doesn't hurt them. Plus then they don't have to shove a tube down their throat every so many weeks. His study could help save future cow's lives so these cows are taking one for the team.

James cleaning the site.

This was the weight of one of the cows. They are pretty young still, so they will be getting much bigger.

Three of my cowpokes

Mason and Char hitching a ride on the gate.

Good clean fun

1 comment:

mastermind said...

I love this post.

Um, that cannula thing is crazy! But if it's anything like my little friend I can concur that extra openings in your body don't hurt. Still - nice of the cows to take one for the team!

And I love seeing my little Charzo in his superhero duds. He sure knows how to fancy up to go help dad!