01 September, 2011

The Summer of Aquaman!

This is what mason looks like when he gets wet
This Summer we tried to teach Mason how to swim at our local Hyrum Reservoir. To get him extra excited to be a guppy, I showed him a bunch of old Aquaman cartoons on youtube. When I was little, I learned to swim by pretending to be Aquaman in the toddler area of a swimming pool so watching the cartoons seemed like a must for his aquatic learning as well. :) Surprisingly enough, he didn't succeed at swimming laps. However, he is really brave in the water now and swims around freely with in his life jacket. The effort was enjoyed by the whole family. While we swam, we would pretend we were the characters in the cartoon, The Adventures of Aquaman.
A collage of pictures of us at the lake
Mason, of course, took on the role of Aquaman. Char was his sidekick, Aqualad, I was aquagirl, and McCabe was the lovable pet walrus, Tusky. Last but not least, Pops was the seahorse, Tadpole. But since he is so amazing, Poppy was also able to play the villain, Black Manta! After all, every good water game needs a bad-guy to wrestle with.
Pops
Last night we went to our favorite lake one last time to swim. The water was cold but we still splashed around for a while anyway. As much as I love the Fall, I will miss this fun Summer and our time at the lake. Most of all, I'll miss hearing our Aquaman say, "I love you Aquagirl!" over and over while we swam around. Even though it hasn't been proven 100% effective as of yet, I would recommend the Aquaman method of learning to swim to anyone.
Now we all know what I would look like as a red-head.

 

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

You're so funny, great idea though!