Today our little family hiked up Logan Canyon to a beaver dam in a beautiful meadow. What a treat! You may not know this, but few things make me happier than beavers. I love everything about them! My men amused me by happily exploring around the beaver dam and pond for much longer than any normal person would probably wish.
The excursion reminded me of a beaver moment that I experienced about five years ago when I was pregnant with Mason. That particular day I was feeling all sorts of negative and anxious emotions about the upcoming changes that were about to take place in our family. I felt overwhelmed with the responsibility of becoming a mother and I already felt tired by the stress of it all. James, knowing that I needed to be cheered, took me to one of our favorite spots on Utah lake. I was especially fond of this area because not only was it pretty, but we had also spotted a few beaver friends there in the past. Along the dirt frontage road we walked while our dogs explored, but I still felt low.
While we walked and talked, I scanned the water for beavers. Without really thinking I prayed that I would get to see a little beaver friend but as soon as I realized what I was doing, I felt a little foolish and quickly added that of course He didn't have to. I was feeling so small and insignificant that in that moment, couldn't imagine Heavenly Father caring if I saw a beaver.
On we walked for the next while. However, when we were almost done and I still hadn't seen a beaver, I silently used it as proof that I really was as insignificant as I had been feeling. But before I climbed into our car, James said, "Look Malinda, a beaver!" I hadn't told James how much seeing a beaver would mean to me that day but Heavenly Father knew. As I watched that little beaver swim, I was struck so strongly once again that Heavenly Father knew me and cared about me was ever aware of my concerns. I was special to him and because of that, I knew that everything would be okay. He was in charge and He loved me.
People have asked me why I love beavers so much. I honestly don't know why I first became enamored, but I do know that because of this little tender mercy, I am especially fond of them because they remind me of my relationship with my Heavenly Father.
We didn't see any beavers today but that's okay. I was already feeling pretty blessed.















2 comments:
I remember when you shared that story in RS when we were in the presidency! To this day I think of you when I hear of or see a beaver :)
Basically ditto what Heidi said. It was one of my favorite talks ever. You're the best
Post a Comment