31 August, 2012

Mason's birth story

Yesterday Mason turned five. Five! Since Mason is the only one of our boys without a blog post about the details of his birth, here it is:
When I finally got to hold him

Mason's due date was September 19th, 2007 but he had a c-section scheduled the week before on September 11th. His pregnancy was relatively easy but a month before his due date, I had to take my maternity leave early since it was clear that if I stayed up on my feet working all day, he would be coming early and we wanted to keep him in as long as possible. He was so low that it was incredibly painful to walk any sort of distance, let alone work a 12 and a half hour day. So I played it safe and lounged around the home. I figured I had a month, but I ended up only having two weeks.

On the night before Mason was born, we were laying in bed when all of a sudden my water broke. At least, I was pretty sure that was what it was but since it didn't keep coming, I couldn't all the way rule out the possibility that I had just wet the bed. I hemmed and hawed but finally awkwardly called the on-call doctor to see what he wanted me to do. He said that it would keep coming if my water did actually break and that intense labor pains would quickly follow. If none of that happened, he said that I didn't have to worry. I felt really lame. But at the same time, I just knew Mason was on his way and had James give me a blessing. In the blessing, it said that there was a special time appointed for Mason's arrival. I thought that was so neat and so comforting and eventually fell asleep feeling like everything would be okay.

Next thing I new, it was the morning and I was shocked that no Mason had come! Luckily, it happened to be James' day off, so we spent the morning running errands and getting ready for James' new semester. Around 1pm I couldn't help it any more and had James drive me over to my OBGYN for a check up just in case I was right about what I thought happened. Everyone was nice, but you could tell that they thought it was all in my head until the amniotic fluid testing stick turned blue. Hot dog, I wasn't crazy after all! They sent me over to labor and delivery and hooked me up to the machine where the monitor read that I was having regular contractions but for some odd reason I just wasn't feeling.

Dr Rees did the c-section with Dr. Broberg assisting. The whole time they happily talked about golfing while James held my hand and kept excitedly telling me how the things they were using were similar to what they used in his vet clinic. Then, at 5pm sharp, little Mason arrived! I didn't get to really see him till a while later, since I was feeling so gross, but I remember everyone ooing and awing over how much strawberry blonde hair he had and how perfect he was. I should say that I wasn't surprised, but in truth, I was so worried that I was going to have an incredibly ugly child since James and I don't really look much alike. I guess what I should have worried about was if he would take to sucking on the stinkiest blanket in town for at least the next five years. 

 I remember feeling a great responsibility to live up to the trust that Heavenly Father placed on me when He let me become a mother to Mason and I felt incredibly honored.  I still do. We loved him from the start, but each year we seem to love him even more!

Mason James Sieg
August 30th, 2007
5pm
7 lbs 6 oz.
19 3/4 long

2 comments:

jordan and maci said...

loved reading this post--and a very happy birthday to little (or not so little) mason! your boys are all darling!

The Hunzikers said...

Awww...happy birthday, Mason! He was definitely adorable from the start! Love all his hair. It made me laugh, because I remember worrying about what Heidi would look like b/c Jeff and I look nothing alike. Then in the ultrasound pics it looked like she had a nose bigger than her face and a full set of teeth. I was sure she was going to come out biting. I thought I wouldn't worry so much with the next one, but now that I think Heidi is so adorable I think, "OH NO! What if this next girl gets all the bad genes??" Then they will be compared as the cute one and the unfortunate one. In any event, love all the recent posts. I'm glad you guy are feeling settled on your new adventure!