One of my biggest concerns about moving to Kansas was not thinking it was very pretty. I LOVED how beautiful Cache Valley was and how accessible outdoor activities were. I was afraid that everything would be flat and drab. Thankfully, now that I am here to stay, I am finding that it is anything but that! Hot dog! Manhattan, Kansas is situated in what they call "The Flint Hills" which means that it is the part of Kansas that has hills. I actually don't think the neighboring flat corn fields are ugly, but my heart yearns for trees. Thankfully Manhattan delivers in that department!
This last Sunday we went on a family stroll/hike to the top of the hill directly behind our house. This is about the size of the CLU hill that I grew up by but sports a large "Manhattan" sign with letters painted white to welcome all the newcomers. Earlier in the week, the boys and I found out that there is about a 5-10 minute hike leading up to the letters that starts just five houses down from us, so Sunday morning we headed off to show Poppy. There certainly are perks to having church at one in the afternoon!
The boys were pleased as punch to show Poppy the way
Watch out! Two scary monsters! Poppy was terrified.
Note that all three boys were wearing green. In fact, the entire Sieg family was, as per Mason's request.
After a bajillion stairs, we made it to the top! In case you were wondering, this was our view:
But more importantly, This is what we did at the top of it:
The boys turned the slick white letters into fun slides. The first time we hiked, McCabe nearly killed himself when he decided to run (out of control) down one of the steep letters. Yikes. Thankfully, I learned my lesson the second time round and stuck by his side like glue.
There are all sorts of bugs to greet you at the top of the hill:
Char made a little blanket for his grasshopper.
James may or may not have found the hike has thrilling as the rest of us did....but that may be due to the fact that he spend a great portion of it doing this:
But all in all....
....it was a great way to get our energy out before church!
Our little street















5 comments:
Don't you love how green it is? Have the boys gotten to see fireflies yet?
That last comment was from Rachel.
hot dog im glad you are back too! im especially glad you found mountains to climb in kansas. :) so how long are you in kansas for? do you intend to come back out west after school?
so in another month we have some exciting news that we can hopefully share on the blog (no, im not pregnant!), and i think you are the first person that came to mind to share it with when we found out about it...i think a lot of family members think we are crazy to do what we are doing. but not malinda! hah, i thought you would share in our new adventure...:)
funny how even though i don't see you in person, i miss you when you aren't blogging your life :) and kansas seems so far away!
I love your pictures!!! And how much fun your new adventure seems. So cool for your family. I hope you guys continue to enjoy Kansas.
How beautiful! I love the tree-lined street you live on!
Post a Comment