21 April, 2013

Esplorer Mason



 The other day I asked Mason what he wants to be when he grows up and he responded with the usual, "Esplorer" (explorer). Then  after a beat, he added, "Or a guard.....'cause then I can have swords and knives."

This boy lives for a good exploring adventure! Even with the on-and-off-again cold Spring weather, this boy heads off to our wooded backyard every chance he gets. In case you are worried that he might get into some sort of trouble while he is climbing trees and digging in the dirt, don't fear; Mason is always certain to pack every conceivable necessity he can think of in his trusty backpack and never leaves without it! And when I say 'necessity' I mean several changes of clothes, his pocket knife (that James got him for his birthday last year-yeah, we know he is five, but Mason is a very old soul), snacks, binoculars, nets, books, toys, etc. In fact, the other day I poked my head outside to see how his adventuring was progressing only to find Mason standing near the top of our yard looking miffed. I asked what was wrong and Mason replied that it wasn't very fun since he had too much stuff to carry. It was only then that I realized that on this particular day, Mason had TWO large-and-in-charge suitcases packed to the hilt instead of just the one. This boy takes after his ever-prepared Pops! If Mason's growth is stunted, I'm going to blame it on his heavy backpack!
 Whittling.

 Mason's knife. This boy is ready for anything! The other day I was helping him put something together and realized that I needed a knife to complete the task. Instead of having to get up to retrieve one, I asked Mason if he happened to have his knife on him. "Yep! I always do!" It is handy having MacGuyver as a son.

Mason's drawer of treasures.

Lucky for Charlie and McCoob, Mason has been nice enough to show them the ways of adventuring. What a great big brother!
Mason and Char, getting ready to head to the hills (of our backyard)



2 comments:

Camille said...

You have 3 little Huck Finn's!! I love it!!!

Linda Abilez said...

I want your life! So fun!