18 February, 2014

More January updates

One of our very first jobs to do when we moved in was take down this nasty marbled-mirror tile mistake. James is a saint.

Right before we sped off to California for Christmas break, we found out that we would be moving as soon as we got back. We loved where we lived but our landlords had some changes come up and wanted to move into where we were living as soon as they could. In a lot of ways we were really bummed. We loved our yard, I loved having a big kitchen, and most of all, we loved our neighbors! However, the house was really old and drafty and we loved the idea of getting out before we paid to heat the outdoors all Winter. Amazingly, we were able to find a townhouse nearby that was half the rent and close to some of our other favorite Manhattan friends so it all worked out.

Instead of having a romantic anniversary on January 6th, we spent the day moving and cleaning and moving some more in terrible weather (-28 degrees with the windchill) while we all had the flu. It was loads of fun. On the up side, I was able to unpack our last box about an hour before I got hurt, and the new place we moved into already had a fancy ramp leading up to the door so it was meant to be!
Amazingly, we were able to take the whole thing down without damaging the walls or breaking a single tile! Hot dog! I still need to paint the room now, but since my knee decided to give me sass, I now have ample time to sit and think about what color I want to commit to.
After the initial move, we spent the rest of James's break working on projects and building furniture. James never really liked the bed he made for the boys when we moved to Kansas, so he and I made them a new triple-decker. It was really fun to build with him....until it was the night before school started and we realized that James never got a break before he had to jump back into school again. Boo to not being independently wealthy and having James to ourselves all the time!
Charlie, helping his pop

Mason, taking the saw for a spin. Don't worry, we were really safe. Mason's hand wasn't allowed to move from his knee.

Huck and me...pretending to be helpful

The bed still needs to be stained and finished, but that too will have to wait until I mend. Patience is a virtue I am learning.

Right after school started, James had his first training in the army. Because of that, we got to go on base with James and get his army clothes and I.D. and explore. It made our army commitment feel more real and I couldn't help but feel proud to be affiliated with such brave people.
The boys all got army hats to be just like James

In our church, the January after a child turns three, they get to leave the nursery and join the big kids in primary as a Sunbeam. Coobie was over the moon and has been thrilled about being so big and sophisticated ever since! Now the only time that you can call him a baby is when he is pretending to be some sort of baby animal. Go figure.
Coobie, showing off his new CTR ring (which stands for Choose the Right) that he got from his new teacher.

So not super exciting stuff, but big changes all the same.

3 comments:

Audrey said...

What are you talking about? That's all super exciting stuff! It's so neat to see James all official in his army gear, and McCabe is the cutest Sunbeam I've seen! I'm just not sure why you took down that beautiful marble mirror wall, it was so lovely!

Hayley Parker said...

The picture of James and the boys in the army hats is about the cutest thing ever, love it!

Carol said...

I am so happy to see all the great pictures of all of you. It is such fun to go to the park and build furniture and hear about all the growing up that is going on. We sure do think you and your family are the best. We love you all a whole bunch.