19 March, 2014

How we roll


A couple days after my knee surgery, my mom was nice enough to drop everything she had going on in her life in California and join us in freezing Kansas where she pretty much waited on us hand and foot for three weeks. Without her we might not have been able to survived the upset and will be eternally grateful for her selfless service to our family. I wasn't doing too red-hot so I really was not fun to be around until about a week before she had to leave. After that I guess I still wasn't exciting (since I just perched on the couch all day) but at least we had some great talks in and were able to enjoy some good chick-flicks together! It was an absolute treat for me! 

On the Friday before she left, we decided to reward her hard efforts with an exciting trip onto the Fort Riley military base. There we showed her an old locomotive:

 And took her to a museum:
Yep, that about did us party animals in! Don't ever say we don't know how to show a guest a good time!

I was a little worried at how we would manage without my mom's help, but after holding her hostage for so long, I knew we had to set her free. Thankfully, with the help of really low expectations (and friends watching the boys and driving me to appointments twice a week), we have done just fine! Here is what life is like at the moment.

Huckle had been staying about five houses down at the Wenzel's (who are angels!) for about five weeks while I got over the worst of it all. The night my mom went home, James and Mason picked him up and everyone was tickled pink to see him again!

Until I am steady on my feet and crutch-free, James takes him to doggy daycare when he heads off to school. It has been wonderful because he has a ball running around like crazy with other dogs all day and then comes home tired and happy to see us.

The boys have free-reign over what they wear:
In this picture, Coobie is wearing a Davy Crockett hat, Mason's shorts, one of James's socks, and his happy lion shirt for the third day in a row.

We park in these slots:

We cruise around stores in carts:


 We do a lot of school:
I guess I need to take some pictures of or normal school activities but I don't really have any. I guess I haven't posted anything on here about it but we have been homeschooling this year and have really loved it. These pictures are from when my mom was here. She was working on counting money with Mason and did a pretend garage sale for him to practice buying things from. So basically, not only did she help him how to purchase items, but she also taught him how to haggle!

We've taken up indoor sports:



We rent a lot of shows from the library:

We have tons of indoor dance parties....

...that the boys often record. 



The boys have become my slaves:
Mason actually started on these without me even asking him the other day. 

We play lots of games and eat lots of treats:
Aunt Lindsay sent us the card game, Old Maid, and our life has been all the better for it!

                         And last but not least, Coobie holds my hand whenever we drive in the car:

Low expectations make everything better!

2 comments:

BBC said...

i just love your posts... i can totally hear your voice when i read them. ha ha. i'm glad you're feeling a bit better! your boys sure love you!

Aria said...

so sweet - I love the dance parties. That's the best part of being house-bound. I'm glad you have the cutest boys to keep you company!