After I finished at BYU, I moved home to pursue a masters in art therapy. Even though I felt like I was doing the right thing, I dreaded the move. I didn't see how living at home and attending the bite-sized singles branch (church for young single adults) was going to do wonders to a socially awkward returned sister missionary. However, I decided to make the most of it and threw myself into the activities and events that the Singles Branch put on. Each one seemed more painful than the last but I decided to soldier on anyway. I refused to be intimidated by teeny-boppers. Besides, there was a really good looking red head that I had my eye on.....
When the wonderful month of October came around, a nearby singles ward decided to throw a Halloween costume party for Family Home Evening and invited all of the nearby singles to join in on the festive fun. I knew it might be uncomfortable to go by myself, but I do love Halloween and there was a chance that James would be there, so I dressed up and bravely made the forty minute drive.
Just previous to this party, I had hurt my leg and had to use one crutch to get myself around. To make the most of my accessory, I decided to dress up as Tiny Tim from the Christmas Carol. I put on shabby old fashioned clothes, a little cap, scarf and fingerless gloves. Last but not least, I smudged my face with charcoal to make the Dickens character complete. I always pride myself on my Halloween costumes and I knew that this, too, would be a smashing success.
When I pulled up to the church, the parking lot was nearly empty. Curses for being prompt!!! I decided to do the only sane thing and made a few phone calls while I waited for more people to show. After about twenty minutes things had barely improved. However, I decided to pull out my little crutch and limp my way in.
Once inside, things quickly turned from bad to worse. I heard loud music coming from the cultural hall and I realized what I thought was a friendly party turned out to be a DANCE! What the?!!! How was I going to woo anyone on the dance floor while toting a crutch? Needless to say, being dressed up as a prepubescent coal-faced boy wasn't turning any guys head....at least in a romantic way (working it, working it). Yikes was I a bust! After I paused to survey the pathetic room, I bee-bopped my little hiney right back to my car. There are some things that even a dorky returned missionary won't bring herself to do...especially since James was not in attendance.
2 comments:
i can totally see you dressed as tiny tim...and that's why i love you. i hope you are feeling well.
that is so randomly funny. could I please request a slide show of all of your past crazy Halloween costumes???? that would really make my day...
Post a Comment