23 August, 2012

Sunset Zoo

There are all sorts of water towers out here in the Midwest.

We miss Poppy now that he has a very heavy load of classes to deal with, but while he is away we have been finding all sorts of things to do in this town. Even though it is roughly the size of Provo, Utah (where we lived before) this town has it's own zoo! It isn't big but it is big enough to house tigers, cheetas, jackals  bears, anteaters, flamingos, monkeys, etc.. Our little town in Cache Valley had a zoo but it's main attractions were the bobcats, coyotes, and the peacock that pooped in nearly every square inch of the zoo's grounds. So, to us, this zoo is amazing! To top it off, we got a yearly pass for only $50 that also gets us into any of the states larger zoos for free as well and 50% off almost all other zoos in the nation! Hot dog!!!! 

Earlier this week we got up, ate breakfast, and then drove the five minute route to our new favorite location. I don't know if it was because it was earlier in the morning or what, but almost every animal was out and about! We were all in hog heaven! It's safe to say that we will be spending many happy hours here these next four years.
 See, not huge, but big enough for us!

 McCabe wants to be big like his brothers so much these days. I had the stroller with me, but he seems to find it offensive when I suggest that he take a load off and ride for a while.

These are little Asian river otters and aren't they adorable?! The boys got a KICK out of them, especially since they are also in the mustelid family and made the cutest little squeak sounds. Mason kept saying, "I just want to break them out of there so I can snuggle with them!"

 This moment was the highlight of the trip for me!

 Last time the anteater was snoozing so we didn't get to really see him but this time he was out looking for bugs. Good thing, since Mason brought  along a zoo card with anteater info for me to read out-loud once we found him.
 What, you don't keep cards like these in your pocket? Watch out ladies, in only 11 years this stud is going to be ready to date!

 I couldn't help but take a picture of this for my mom and my brothers. Growing up, whenever my brothers would complain that something was too girly, my mother would just say, "It's unisex!" Besides her, I haven't heard this word used all that much....until Manhattan. I see signs all over town using the word in one way or another and it always makes me smile. So see, Tony? That pilgrim outfit mom made you wear in that school play wasn't girly at all! It was unisex. :)

Meeting a friendly tortoise

The marmosets were way too active to take a picture of but aren't they cute? What is is about having a baby that makes everything remind you of them? So, sorry McCabe, this little fella on the right reminds me of you. It might be the feathery hairdo.

The prized peacock feather that Charlie found (and Mason drooled over for the rest of the day).

 The red panda


The chimp with the creepy eye. Yikes! 

4 comments:

rawhide said...

I love your zoo! And seriously your boys are so stinkin cute!! So, I´m in the market for a camera - I know I´m joining the masses now....what kind so you have??? Um, not sure how you will tell me but maybe check out my blog and leave a comment! rawh1de.blogspot.com

BBC said...

I love the part about the card in his pocket. He's adorable!

BBC said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aria said...

how fun! that chimp at the end would creep me out, but luckily your boys are brave animal-lovers. And the "unisex" comment cracked me up. now you can carry on the tradition with your boys. :)