15 November, 2012

And Typer Was His Name O!

 Pigs might be flying right now 'cause we did something that I never thought I would allow in our Sieg home. We got a pet rat. Yep, a rodent. I can't express how phobic I am of these nibbly little beasts, but James suggested it in such a fun and spontaneous way that I wasn't really in my right mind to put my foot down. See, we were playing at the park down the street and next thing I knew we were winding our way through the isles of Petco where this little rat wheedled his whiskery way into our hearts.

What is even more surprising than that I said yes to a pet rat, is that I actually have grown rather fond of this cute little fella. I even will hold him every now and again without cringing or shrieking in fear. Look at that!

We decided to let Mason be the official owner of our little rat and he has been over the moon about it. Since he is Mason's pet, Mason was put in charge of naming him. At first he was thinking of the name, Rat. Then he moved on to the name, Mason, because "Mason's a great name!" Finally he decided on the name Typer after watching the rat's typing skills when he was walking across our computer keys. I guess inspiration can come from anywhere. As genius as his name is, Mason mostly calls him Checkers (when he can't quite remember Typer) or Mousey. But whatever we call him, we love our new little furry friend...but don't expect me to ever feel this way about a rodent ever again.
 He's sorta cute, huh? It helps that he doesn't have the whole sewer rat coloring thing going on

 How he came to our home

 James thought it was hilarious to see me face my fears

 Don't I look like a rodent-holding natural?

 Mason had a rat growing up and he loved it. 

 Even though Char isn't Typers rightful owner, he loves this little guy just as much, if not more, than his big brother. He starts everyday with a friendly hello and won't go to bed each night without saying a sweet, "Goodnight, Mousey! I love you!"

 Even with all sorts of cute little boy fingers jabbing him all day long, Typer hasn't bitten anyone! I grew up with hamsters who were incredibly feisty and mean so this is still surprising to me!

 James had this little cage for his rat when he was little. Up to this point, the boys have just used it on bugs, but Typer seems to like it much better.

Poppy, showing the boys how to work the water thingy.

4 comments:

Bethany said...

Oh how cute! These past three years are the only years that I HAVEN'T had pet rats in my home. They make such wonderful pets. You can train them to do all sorts of fun things... string a rope up for a tightrope, teach them to run mazes of VHS tapes, teach them to jump across long distances, come when you call, use a potty box, all pretty easily. They are so snuggly and fun! I think you made a good decision in giving in.

Jon, Lindsay, & Naomi said...

What have the boys done to you??? Hahaha! Love your little Typer! I completely agree about the color of the rat making a big difference. He's cute!!!

BBC said...

you will LOVE this article: http://www.oprah.com/relationships/How-a-Hong-Kong-Alley-Rat-Changed-One-Couples-Life
read it!

Aria said...

wow, he's actually super cute! I love that first picture - and great photo skills, Malinda! I am so impressed you are getting over your rodent fears...maybe this is a big step I need to make, as well. :) Mason's names are hilarious...why didn't I ask for his help when we were deciding on a name for our baby?!